Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Australia detaining youth Gitmo-style

Started by Romero, July 27, 2016, 02:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romero

QuoteAustralians horrified by Guantanamo-like abuse of detained teens

The Australian government ordered an inquiry Tuesday after graphic evidence emerged of prison guards assaulting teenage boys, with one shown hooded and shackled in scenes likened to Guantanamo Bay.

National broadcaster ABC on Monday night showed footage of offenders, many indigenous, being stripped naked, tear-gassed and held in solitary confinement for weeks at a youth detention centre in the Northern Territory in 2014 and 2015.

In one video from last year, a 17-year-old is hooded, shackled to a restraint chair and left alone for two hours.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said he was "shocked and appalled" at the images from the ABC's Four Corners current affairs programme.

Human Rights Watch said it had long been urging the government to act on abuses in juvenile detention, and that the Northern Territory was the tip of the iceberg.

http://2d0yaz2jiom3c6vy7e7e5svk.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/teenage-boy-hooded-and-strapped-into-a-chair-800x430.jpg">

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/australians-horrified-by-guantanamo-like-abuse-of-detained-teens/">//http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/australians-horrified-by-guantanamo-like-abuse-of-detained-teens/

Anonymous

I saw this picture on MSN..

This should only be permitted if the person is a threat to themselves or others.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Fashionista"This should only be permitted if the person is a threat to themselves or others.

He was.

That's why it shocks me how shocked people are over an image, when they don't really know why he was restrained in the first place.

They don't just restrain everyone like this for fun...  Generally, you have to do things to deserve it, which he did.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
Quote from: "Fashionista"This should only be permitted if the person is a threat to themselves or others.

He was.

That's why it shocks me how shocked people are over an image, when they don't really know why he was restrained in the first place.

They don't just restrain everyone like this for fun...  Generally, you have to do things to deserve it, which he did.

True. Images like that are used by non news sources. They don't even tell half the real story.

Angry White Male

If the guy is a spitter, they fit him with a hood.

If the guy starts smashing his head into the concrete wall, they restrain him for his own good, and the good of others.

People don't know what they fucking want.  My solution?  Concrete cell, with a rope handy, and a hook in the ceiling.  There.  Smash your head and kill yourself with the noose, should you desire.  Freedom of choice, right?

But yet, when that becomes a real possibility, of harm to self and others, idiots cry when they strap you down and fit you with a spit hood...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"

He was.

Physical restraint is a requirement in those type of facilities. Get over it.